Understanding Neuroscience and Behavioral Medicine
Neuroscience is the study of the nervous system, which includes the brain, spinal cord and nerve cells (also called neurons). All parts of the nervous system work together to send messages to the brain and the body. When a child has a neurological condition, disorder or injury, the normal flow of messages to the brain and body can be affected.
By combining neuroscience with behavioral medicine, Children’s National helps children and parents not only understand brain conditions, but how they might affect a child’s emotions and behavior.
Why Choose the Center for Neuroscience and Behavioral Medicine?
At Children’s National, we combine cutting-edge research with highly specialized clinical care. Our experts have dedicated their careers to giving children with neurological conditions the best chance for a long and happy life.
Highlights of our program include:
- Best in the Mid-Atlantic: Our Neurology and Neurosurgery Programs are ranked the best in the Mid-Atlantic and #3 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
- Expertise: With over 100 neuroscience and behavioral medicine experts, our experience covers the full spectrum of neurological conditions, including rare and under-diagnosed disorders such as white matter disease and inherited metabolic disorders.
- Developmentally appropriate care: We create individual, personalized treatment plans for every child. Our experts know and understand how age, level of maturity and individuality can all influence a child’s development. By getting to know your child and tailoring treatment to his or her needs, we help ensure the best possible treatment outcome.
- Research: By participating in the world’s most prestigious neuroscience research, we can bring new treatments to your child as quickly and safely as possible. Our own dedicated labs excel in translating developments and discoveries into clinical practice. Learn more about our Center for Neuroscience Research.
- Innovative support programs: We offer dedicated support groups and specialized summer camps for children with neurological conditions. Our Brainy Camps help children build confidence and make new friends in a safe and supportive environment.
One of the Best Children’s Hospitals for Neurological Care
Our Neurology and Neurosurgery Programs are ranked #3 in the nation and best in the Mid-Atlantic by U.S. News & World Report.
First Hospital in the Nation to Offer Non-Invasive Technology for Pediatric Brain Tumors
Learn more about how Children’s National is the first hospital in the U.S. to treat high-grade pediatric brain tumors with low-intensity focused ultrasound (LIFU).