At Children's National Hospital, we evaluate and care for children with a wide range of cognitive (thinking and learning), behavioral and social-emotional needs. Our compassionate care is based on extensive research on how acquired and developmental brain disorders, injuries and diseases affect a child’s behavior and ability to function.
The Division of Neuropsychology includes some of the world’s foremost experts in care for children and teens with neurological conditions. Neuropsychology addresses the psychological and cognitive effects of these conditions, whether they are neurodevelopmental, such as autism, or caused by illness or injury, such as concussion or brain tumors.
Leaders in the Field of Neuropsychology
Neurodevelopmental disorders and brain injury or illness require advanced expertise and a multidisciplinary approach. At Children’s National, our care team includes specialists from various fields who work with you to develop a unique care plan for your child. We also consult with our colleagues in other divisions at Children’s National and professionals and clinicians throughout the nation.
Highlights of the Division of Neuropsychology at Children’s National include:
- Pediatric brain and behavior specialists. We care exclusively for children. Our neuropsychology experts understand how complex conditions affect cognitive (thinking and learning), neurological (nervous system) and psychological (social and emotional) development in a growing child or teen.
- Advanced and accessible diagnosis. Each year, our specialists evaluate more than 1,000 children and teens through outpatient neuropsychological evaluations.
- Leaders in the field. Division Chief Gerard Gioia, Ph.D., is a world-renowned expert in pediatric neuropsychology and brain injury. He leads a team focused on developing multidisciplinary collaboration with national and international public and private research centers and patient groups. Dr. Gioia also leads the SCORE Program (Safe Concussion Outcome Recovery and Education) to help parents, coaches and the medical community prevent and recognize a potential concussion and know what to do.
- Lifesaving research and education. Our team is on the leading edge of neuropsychological research, including studies across multiple specialties. We advance scientific knowledge of the physical and behavioral aspects of neurological conditions, including autism, epilepsy, stroke, traumatic brain injury (TBI) and concussion, neurofibromatosis (NF) and neuro-oncology (brain cancer). Our team applies research findings to improve care, methods of neurobehavioral measurements and evaluation, and other advancements.
Neurodevelopmental disorders are often linked to complex medical conditions. Members of our Neuropsychology team work together closely with other specialists throughout Children’s National to provide seamless care to our patients. If your child needs to see another specialist, our team will assist with referrals to divisions within Children's National, community resources and other health professionals in the Washington, D.C., area.
Conditions We Treat
Understanding your child's condition is an important step on your treatment journey. Learn more about causes, symptoms and diagnosis for a variety of conditions, as well as unique treatments and research being performed at Children's National.
This program evaluates and treats neuropsychological symptoms related to conditions such as:
Caring for Your Child
The Neuropsychology team at Children’s National is a diverse group of providers, including:
- Clinical psychologists
- Social workers
- Speech and language therapists
At Children’s National, we understand that families have many questions about their child’s condition and care. In addition to any resources your provider may give you, our online resources can also support your ongoing treatment journey: