Refer a Patient
Engage with Our Team through Direct Messaging
When your patient needs to see a specialist, you can connect with us via Direct Messaging, or secure email, to learn the best specialty options for your patient.
Important Referral Information
If you need assistance scheduling a specialty visit or clinical guidance managing the care of one of your patients, please contact us at one of the numbers below. Our referral guidelines will help you determine if care from one of our specialists is needed.
- Physician Access Line: 202-476-4880. Children’s National specialists are available for consultations Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Hospital Operators: 202-476-5000. Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Available all day Saturday and Sunday.
- Emergency Department Transfer Center: 202-476-LIFE (5433). Available 24/7.
- Direct Admit: 202-476-LIFE (5433). Available 24/7. Direct admissions require pre-authorization by payors. Email our Bear Direct Case Managers for assistance.
- Physician Referral Line: 202-476-4418. Physician liaisons monitor voicemails Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Healthcare providers can share patient exams with us on the lifeIMAGE Network.
Online Referral Form
This system allows you to seamlessly send referral information to our Contact Center. This allows your care team to provide pertinent information about a patient to our specialists so we can better co-manage your patients and meet their specialty care needs.
Our referral guidelines provide guidance on patient referral from adolescent medicine to vestibular systems and more.Explore our subspecialty refer guidelines
Clinic Notes Have Gone Paperless
Children's National has gone paperless with clinic notes. This affects how you receive information about patient visits to our clinics. You will receive clinic notes electronically via fax transmission or through Direct Messaging. If you are not sure whether your practice is using Direct Messaging and want to confirm or sign up, or if you are using it but have questions or concerns please email Direct Messaging. Patients/families will still have access to notes via the patient portal. Contact your physician liaison with questions, concerns or troubleshooting advice.