Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Our Commitment to Diversity
We support our community and promote workplace equity and inclusion as part of our mission to create a better future for children and their families.
At Children’s National, we are working to create a culture that leverages our differences to achieve excellence. We promote and practice compassion, commitment and connection in order to create strong partnerships with the community, our staff members, our patients and their families.
- View our 2022-2023 Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Report (PDF) to learn about our commitment to our patients, families and employees, as well as our journey ahead.
Our efforts to create a more diverse residency program have been recognized by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, which honored our Pediatric Residency Program with the 2022 Barbara Ross-Lee, DO Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Award. The award recognizes programs working to diversity the underrepresented physician workforce and create inclusive workplaces.
Diversity and Inclusion Committee
Our Diversity and Inclusion Committee was founded on the premise that creating a climate that fosters belonging, respect and value for all leads to innovation, increased performance, increased staff engagement and the ability to positively impact patient satisfaction. Our committee is focused on increasing inclusion amongst our employees, faculty, students, trainees and volunteers by working with the following subcommittees:
Trainees and Students
Data and Research
Curriculum Development and Training
Patient Family and Community Engagement
Communication and Dissemination
Fostering Health Equity in the Community
Health equity ensures that all people have access to services and opportunities that enable healthy living. To raise awareness about health equity, our team performs research and seeks to effect change through health programs that help children in our community who experience inequities. We also work with the community to promote career opportunities and mentorship programs at Children’s National:
- Advancing health equity. There is clear evidence showing that structural racism is responsible for significant health disparities for people of color. Through research, community partnerships and advocacy, we are combating these serious public health concerns.
- Community Benefit Program. Children’s National extends beyond diversity and inclusion to help build communities where every child can grow up stronger. Our Community Benefit Program provides treatment, or promotes health and healing, as a response to identified community needs.
- School Health Collaborative. We understand that children spend much of their time in school; therefore we envision a school-friendly healthcare system designed to ensure all children reach optimal health and achieve their full academic potential. For more than two decades, our School Health Collaborative has served the school system by providing more than two dozen school-based programs (including oral health, mental health, reproductive health and school nursing) and administering 20 school-based health centers in three public school jurisdictions.
- Mentorship and career opportunities. Through a variety of community partnerships and programs, we introduce adolescents, teenagers and medical students to a future in medicine. We also provide them with access to biomedical research opportunities.
We support our LGBTQ+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning/queer) patients through several programs and services:
Read more about LGBTQ+ support resources at Children's National.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Report
Learn about our progress and our ongoing commitment to our patients, families and employees as we work together to advance equity and inclusion across our communities.
Resources for Families
Children’s National offers services to ensure that patients and families are connected to support systems such as language services, parent navigators, spiritual care and more while receiving world-class treatment at our hospital.
Human Rights Campaign Foundation Recognizes Children's National Hospital
We're honored to be recognized by the HRC Foundation as a "LGBTQ+ Healthcare Equality Leader" with a perfect score in their Healthcare Equality Index.
Healthcare Disparities Research Addresses Outcomes of Emergency Department Care
The ADAPT Lab is one of several labs at Children's National that seeks to address inequities in pediatric healthcare through research.