Parent Navigator Program
We understand that families who have children with chronic medical conditions and special healthcare needs require extra support. At Children’s National, our Parent Navigator Program helps to reduce family stress by:
- Connecting parents or caregivers to resources
- Assisting with navigating care
- Finding educational tools for parents and children
- Providing emotional support so that managing a child’s healthcare journey is a little easier
The navigators also bring a unique perspective and understanding to a child’s healthcare team since they too are parents of children with disabilities.
What Parent Navigators Do
Our Parent Navigator Program informs, educates, supports and empowers families to be strong partners with providers in advocating for their child’s medical, educational and social well-being. Parent Navigators provide guidance and support to families about how to access services, work with providers and manage the various aspects of caregiving for children with disabilities.
Families of children with special healthcare needs are eligible for the Parent Navigator Program if they see a pediatrician in a Children’s Primary Care location, or are followed by the Complex Care Program at Children’s National.
Additionally, families are eligible if a child’s condition requires any of the following:
- Frequent doctor visits
- Home nursing care
- Multiple hospital stays
- Several specialty doctors
- Specialized education (IEP, IFSP)
- Therapy services (physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy)
- Use of equipment such as a wheelchair, ventilator, feeding tube or any type of computer-aided technology
Upcoming Parent Navigator Program Events
Check back soon for our next Parent Navigator Programs Event.