At Children’s National Hospital, we are proud to have one of the most experienced pediatric orthopaedic practices in the nation. Our expertise attracts families needing expert orthopaedic care for their children from the across the Mid-Atlantic region.Advanced care and treatments available at Children’s National are improving quality of life for the children we treat and the families we serve. Our program is recognized by U.S. News & World Report as one of the top 10 pediatric orthopaedic programs in the country.
Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine at Children's National
Our orthopaedic surgeons are leaders in a wide range of subspecialties, including spinal deformities, bone health, and hip preservation. We consistently offer innovative treatments, meaning your child receives the most effective care. This includes the most effective medications, least invasive procedures, and care that is more efficient. Our expertise, coupled with a depth of experience from treating more than 5,000 patients per year, helps us consistently achieve excellent outcomes.
Our program specializes in helping children who have conditions affecting the structure or function of their joints and skeletal system, from head to toe.
Highlights of our program include:
- Pediatric expertise. Children's National is the only child-focused orthopaedic program in the region. We are the only pediatric hand and upper extremity program in the Washington, D.C., area and also the only pediatric program for hip disorders. Our team of fellowship trained pediatric orthopaedists treats everything from broken bones to spinal deformities. Meet the team.
- Growth-plate sparing treatments. We appreciate that children are not simply miniature adults. We are experts in treating conditions or injuries near special growing areas of your child’s bones (growth plates). Our team of experts are members of the Scoliosis Research Society, and we are one of 25 hospitals around the globe that are working to improve care for early onset scoliosis.
- Minimally invasive techniques.When surgery is necessary, we strive to use the least invasive technique possible. Minimally invasive surgery means less pain and a shorter recovery period for your child. We perform more procedures than any other program in the Washington, D.C., area.
- Level 1 Surgery Verification. We have attained Level 1 Surgery Verification from the American College of Surgeons, a distinction that recognizes surgery centers that have improved surgical quality, prevented complications, reduced costs and saved lives.
- Innovative care programs: Our Spinal Fusion Surgical Home is the first pediatric program of its kind in the nation. Using a team approach, we deliver safe, effective, and family-centered care to children undergoing spine-straightening surgery (posterior spinal fusion).
- Newer technologies. We are one of few pediatric hospitals in the country to use an EOS® for imaging. This Nobel prize-winning technology allows us to take better quality, full body images more quickly and with less radiation than traditional X-rays.
Online Appointment Scheduling Available for Existing Patients
If your child is an existing patient, you can schedule their appointments online through the MyChildrensNational patient portal. Learn more information about the patient portal and how to sign up.
Orthopaedic Sports Medicine History Form
If you're a new patient, please fill out this form before you visit.
Healing Growing Kids
Experts at Children’s National care for all types of orthopaedic conditions, from broken bones to chronic conditions affecting bone health, with growing kids’ needs in mind. Find out how Matthew Oetgen, M.D., used cutting edge treatment to treat Jared’s broken femur.
We are training the next generation of orthopaedic specialists at Children's National. Our dynamic fellowship program provides in-depth experience and education to ensure you become a leader within the field.
Helping Young Athletes Achieve Their Peak Performance
Children's National Hospital has partnered with Fight For Children to open the Fight For Children Sports Medicine Center in Silver Spring, MD, which offers a wide range of orthopaedic services, from injury prevention to rehabilitation.