Joseph E. Robert Jr., Center for Surgical Care
Visual Resources to Prepare for a Visit
Our Autism Behavioral Consult team has compiled visual resources that any family can review with their child to make them more comfortable before all types of doctor's visits.
Sheikh Zayed Institute for Pediatric Surgical Innovation
The mission of the Sheikh Zayed Institute for Pediatric Surgical Innovation (SZI) is to make pediatric surgery more precise, less invasive and pain-free.
2023 Clinic Renovation Update
The main hospital Surgical Specialties Clinic will be renovated from Nov. 15 - Dec. 28, 2023. If your child has appointments during this time with the Burn Clinic, General Surgery, Plastic Surgery or Urology, the location has changed.
Choosing the Joseph E. Robert Jr., Center for Surgical Care
The Center for Surgical Care is dedicated to providing treatment that quickly addresses your child’s medical needs with minimal disruption of their lives.
Highlights of our program include:
- Expertise. Our team consists of more than 90 pediatric surgery specialists that operate exclusively on children. In addition, we guarantee that a fellowship-trained pediatric anesthesiologist will be on your child’s care team, and available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, providing the safest environment for your child.
- Minimally invasive techniques. When surgery is necessary, we strive to use the least invasive techniques possible. Minimally invasive surgery means less pain and a shorter recovery period for your child.
- Nationally-ranked surgical care. Children’s National ranks among the top hospitals in the country for Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine, Neurosurgery, Gastroenterology and Urology, according to U.S. News & World Report.
- Family-centered environment. Our Center is designed with a focus on family-centered care and allows your child to go through all of the steps to prepare for surgery in one location. The Center has private and semi-private surgery preparation and recovery bays, as well as playrooms. The recovery center is spacious and each bay provides two adults and a child with comfort and privacy.
- Support specialists. Our certified child life specialists work with your child in the hospital to help them understand and cope with illness, treatment and hospitalization. Child life specialists are available to provide consultations, assist with preparing your child for surgery and provide in-person support on the day of surgery. Learn more about Child Life Services.
- Research. Our Center is complemented by the Sheikh Zayed Institute for Pediatric Surgical Innovation at Children’s National. Through translational research initiatives, we are challenging the boundaries of traditional medicine and working every day to make surgery more precise, less invasive and pain-free.
Level 1 Surgery Verification
Children’s National has attained Level 1 Surgery Verification from the American College of Surgeons, a distinction that recognizes surgery centers that have improved surgical quality, prevented complications, reduced costs and saved lives.
Education and Research Opportunities
The Pediatric Anesthesiology Fellowship at Children’s National Hospital is affiliated with The George Washington University in Washington, D.C. Its mission is to provide fellows with the knowledge, skills, and experience necessary to become outstanding pediatric anesthesiologists.
Pediatric Surgery Fellowship
The Joseph E. Robert Jr., Center for Surgical Care is training the next generation of surgeons at Children's National Hospital.
Volunteer Opportunities Available
We have a number of full and part-time volunteer opportunities to participate in ongoing clinical and translational research.
Medical Students' Guide to Pediatric Surgery
We developed a guide for medical students that details the busy surgical service at Children's National. Learn more about the structure of our service along with some pointers to help get integrated.