Your child may need plastic and reconstructive surgery if he or she has a condition affecting the body’s appearance and function. We may also recommend surgery for children with congenital birth defects that affect the skull, face, hands, feet or skin. At Children’s National Hospital, our expert plastic and reconstructive surgery team will help your child look and feel their best.
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at Children’s National: Why Choose Us
Knowing your child needs surgery may leave you feeling overwhelmed. At Children’s National, you can feel confident that your child is in excellent, compassionate hands. Our surgeons have dedicated their careers to plastic surgery procedures for babies, children and teens. We treat a high volume of children every year, translating into a superior level of experience for our team.
Features of our services include:
- Unparalleled expertise. Our team is one of the few in the country focusing exclusively on children’s reconstructive surgery needs. Our surgeons all have fellowship training in pediatric plastic surgery. We understand the unique requirements of performing surgery for children who are still growing and developing.
- Virtual Surgical Planning (VSP). Children’s National is the first pediatric health system in the Washington D.C., metropolitan area to use this state-of-the-art virtual reality surgical system. VSP allows our surgeons to analyze 3D, 360-degree views of our patients, in order to plan out surgeries in more detail than ever before. Learn more.
- 3D imaging technology. Our team uses the 3dMD imaging system, an advanced camera technology that maps the outside of your child’s face or head, helping our physicians accurately diagnose your child’s condition and plan their surgery. This system is ideal for children, as radiation is not needed, and it operates at a fast, yet effective, speed so that your child does not have to sit still for a long period of time.
- Compassionate care. Our high volume of patients means that these procedures are routine for us. But we understand that it is not routine for you. We work closely with you to explain any procedures, discuss treatment options and answer any questions you may have. We encourage you to be an active member of your child’s medical team.
- Personalized treatment. Plastic and reconstructive surgery is not one-size-fits-all. Each child is unique. We first obtain an accurate diagnosis and then evaluate the treatment options, creating a plan that will offer your child the best outcome.
- Advanced facilities. We designed our operating room and equipment especially for children, including a waiting area nearby for families. We are also the only facility in the area to guarantee 24/7 access to a pediatric anesthesiologist.
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery: Advanced Techniques and Research
We use the latest surgical technology to ensure a safe, effective procedure for your child. Our priority is to get your child back to the important work of being a child, as quickly and safely as possible.
In addition, we are leading the way in plastic surgery research. We are actively involved in research so we can continue to refine, develop and improve our understanding of conditions requiring plastic surgery and new techniques to treat them.
Conditions We Treat
Additional Contact Information
Visual Resources to Prepare for a Visit
Our Autism Behavioral Consult team has compiled visual resources that any family can review with their child to make them more comfortable before all types of doctor's visits.
Level 1 Surgery Verification
Children’s National has attained Level 1 Surgery Verification from the American College of Surgeons, a distinction that recognizes surgery centers that have improved surgical quality, prevented complications, reduced costs and saved lives.