The staff at Children’s National Hospital is committed to ensuring that you and your child have a positive experience during your medical visits. We recognize that focusing on your child’s specific needs can make a real difference in safety and the overall experience. The Autism Behavioral Consult team provides medical staff and parents with tools to make procedures and treatments easier for your child.
Autism Behavioral Consult Services
Our goal is to help provide tailored and individualized care that supports your child’s needs in the medical setting. We:
- Have a developmental neuropsychologist who assists in preparation for medical care and medical procedures – both in the inpatient setting and outpatient clinic at the Main Hospital.
- Make recommendations for communication, sensory and procedural accommodations in medical settings.
- Help parents prepare and plan for their child's medical visit.
- Create online resources and role kits for your child to practice with before coming in for a procedure.
- Incorporate aspects of your child’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and other school records to coordinate medical and educational needs and create a plan that supports participation in medical care.
Helping Children on Their Healthcare Journeys
Our resources can help prepare your child with communication, sensory or behavioral disabilities for their procedure or follow-up appointment.