Key points about pediatric mastoiditis
- Mastoiditis is an inflammation or infection of the mastoid bone.
- Mastoiditis is a complication of a middle ear infection. It happens when the infection in the middle ear spreads into the mastoid bone.
- Treatment of mastoiditis usually includes antibiotic medicine and draining the middle ear.
- Mastoiditis is usually treated by an ear nose and throat healthcare provider.
- Complications can include hearing loss, facial nerve damage and meningitis. It’s vital that you and your child go to all follow-up appointments to check for hearing problems and other complications.