Key Points About Diarrhea in Children
- Diarrhea is loose, watery bowel movements (stool). Your child may also have to go to the bathroom more often.
- It may be caused by many things, including bacterial infection or viral infection.
- Dehydration is the major concern with diarrhea. In most cases, treatment involves replacing lost fluids.
- Correct handwashing can help prevent diarrhea. The rotavirus vaccine can prevent diarrhea caused by that virus.
- When you travel, make sure anything your child eats and drinks is safe.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is diarrhea in children?
What causes diarrhea in a child?
What are the symptoms of diarrhea in a child?
How is diarrhea diagnosed in a child?
How is diarrhea treated in a child?
What are possible complications of diarrhea in a child?
What can I do to help prevent diarrhea in my child?
When should I call my child's healthcare provider?
Gastrointestinal Motility Treatment at Children's National Hospital
Children’s National is one of the few pediatric centers in the country to offer specialized care for motility and functional gastrointestinal disorders impacting your child’s digestive tract. Discover more about the treatment we offer.
Help Kids and Make a Difference
Invest in future cures for some of life's most devastating diseases. Give today to help more children grow up stronger.
Providers Who Treat Diarrhea
Departments that Treat Diarrhea
Emergency Medicine and Trauma Services
As a Level I Pediatric Trauma Center, we are uniquely qualified to provide emergency care for children, from the design of the department to our highly skilled professionals who understand the special needs of younger, smaller patients.
Comprehensive Motility Program
The Motility Program works to help treat a number of motility issues impacting your child's digestive tract, including abdominal pain, aspirating, constipation and incontinence. Learn more about our Comprehensive Motility Program.
Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition
Our gastroenterology experts provide expert diagnosis and treatments for children with digestive, liver and nutrition disorders.