The IDEAL Clinic Obesity Program is a pediatric weight management weight-loss and health education program that brings together a comprehensive team of physicians, researchers and healthcare professionals for children and teens committed to preventing and treating childhood obesity.
Children’s National Hospital is one of only a few dedicated pediatric teams in the nation that offers a continuum of care and support for families. We aim to empower children and teens, from ages 18 months to 18 years old, to improve their quality of life and to achieve health gains that will follow them into adulthood.
Improving your child’s health is our priority because children who are at an unhealthy weight are at greater risk for serious health problems, including type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, depression, heart disease and fatty liver disease, among other health complications, and they are more likely to become adults who are above their healthy weight range.
Choosing Children’s National for Preventing and Treating Childhood Obesity
Highlights of our program include:
- Family-centered programs. Obesity is a chronic medical condition influenced by environmental, social, economic, behavioral and genetic factors. Through our innovative programs and interventions, we find out what your family needs to be successful, and we support you in your efforts to make lifestyle modifications that have a positive impact on health.
- Care for children to young adults. Our team is experienced in caring for the physical as well as psychological differences between children and teenagers. We prepare teens to continue their healthy lifestyles into adulthood, as they enter the workforce or go off to college.
- Personalized surgical care. Our Bariatric Surgery Program provides a durable weight management solution for children and adolescents who are struggling with their weight and associated comorbidities. We consult with you to discuss the options and develop a preparatory and post-procedure plan for successful outcomes. We offer pediatric laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, a mainstay of our program, which demonstrates the best outcome for most children and adolescents suffering from obesity.
Improving Diet, Energy and Activity for Life Clinic
The IDEAL Clinic includes pediatricians, pediatric nurse practitioners and clinical dietitians. This multidisciplinary team helps children and teens live a healthier lifestyle, achieve a healthy BMI and reduce the risk of complications related to obesity. The team meets with patients every four to eight weeks and can extend to a duration of greater than one year.
Referral guidelines for the IDEAL Clinic:
- Body Mass Index (BMI) at or above the 95th percentile for age and sex
- Complications associated with pediatric obesity such as:
- Elevated fasting cholesterol, triglyceride (TG), insulin, HgbA1c, glucose, high blood pressure (hypertension) or liver function tests (LFT)
- Idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH) or Pseudotumor Cerebri
- Slipped capital femoral epiphysis (SCFE) or Blount’s disease
To speak with a member of the IDEAL Clinic, please call 202-476-7200. If you are coming to your child's first IDEAL Clinic appointment, please fill out these forms: