Anxiety disorders remain one of the most common forms of mental health problems among youth and can have a debilitating impact on a child or adolescent’s ability to function. The Anxiety Disorders Program at Children’s National Hospital is a specialized treatment clinic devoted to carefully assessing and effectively treating a wide range of anxiety disorders common among children and adolescents.
Does my child have anxiety?
Anxiety disorders present themselves in a variety of ways. Frequent and intense of worry, avoidance, shyness or nervousness can interfere with a child’s ability to make and keep friends, as well as with academic achievement, family cohesion and a child’s overall level of happiness and self-esteem. If you suspect that your child struggles with anxiety, please contact our clinic to arrange for a professional assessment by our clinical team.
How We Can Help
- Individual therapy. Our team of clinicians conducts thorough assessments and implements individualized treatment programs with the goal of reducing the strain of your child’s anxiety as quickly and successfully as possible. Clinicians in our program rely upon the most effective psychotherapeutic techniques available to achieve our treatment goals.
- Group therapy. We offer anxiety groups for children of various ages throughout the year. This allows children and adolescents the opportunity to build skills and practice with their same age peers.
- Psychiatric consult. Many youth with anxiety disorders benefit from medication to help manage symptoms. The Anxiety Disorders Program team includes two psychiatrists who specialize in treating children and adolescents with a range of presenting problems.
- PANS/PANDAS consult. We offer a coordinated intake appointment with psychology and psychiatry to children presenting with symptoms consistent with Pediatric Acute-onset Neuropsychiatric Syndrome (PANS) and Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorder Associated with Streptococcal Infections (PANDAS). We will provide recommendations and appropriate referrals for treatment.
- Collaborations throughout Children's National. We work with providers in Infectious Diseases, Neurology, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, and Psychology and Behavioral Health to provide the best care possible for your child.
We recognize that children and adolescents affected by anxiety benefit from strong family functioning. Therefore, as a means to promote healthy family environments, clinicians in our program often suggest including parents and caregivers in the treatment of the children and adolescents we see. We find this strategy allows parents and caregivers to better understand how anxiety impacts their child as well as how to best support their child as they work to overcome anxiety.
Conditions We Treat
The Anxiety Disorders Program at Children’s National Hospital is a specialized treatment clinic devoted to carefully assessing and effectively treating a wide range of anxiety disorders common among children and adolescents, including: