Key Points about Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) in Children
- OCD is a type of anxiety disorder. A child with OCD has obsessive thoughts that are not wanted. The thoughts are linked to fears, such as touching dirty objects. The child uses compulsive rituals such as handwashing to control the fears. These rituals may feel rational or irrational to the person doing them. The child may not understand why they do these rituals. They may feel embarrassed that the behaviors occur and can't be controlled.
- The exact cause of OCD is unknown. Children with OCD don’t have enough of a chemical called serotonin in their brain.
- Obsessive symptoms include repeated doubts and extreme preoccupation with dirt or germs.
- Compulsive behaviors include hoarding objects and checking things often.
- A mental health evaluation is needed to diagnose OCD.
- Treatment includes therapy and medicine.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)?
What causes OCD in a child?
What are the symptoms of OCD in a child?
How is OCD diagnosed in a child?
How is OCD treated in a child?
How can I help prevent OCD in my child?
How can I help my child live with OCD?
Anxiety Treatment at Children's National Hospital
The Anxiety Disorders Program is a specialized treatment clinic devoted to carefully assessing and effectively treating a wide range of anxiety disorders common among children and adolescents. Discover more about the treatments we offer.
Help Kids and Make a Difference
Invest in future cures for some of life's most devastating diseases. Give today to help more children grow up stronger.
Providers Who Treat Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Departments that Treat Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Psychology and Behavioral Health
In the Division of Psychology and Behavioral Health, our child psychologists and other mental health professionals work exclusively with children and teens, emphasizing patient and family-focused care.
Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Children's National offers assessment, diagnosis and care for children and teens with behavioral, emotional and developmental disorders.
Anxiety Disorders Program
The Anxiety Disorders Program at Children's National Hospital is a specialized treatment clinic devoted to carefully assessing and effectively treating a wide range of anxiety disorders common among children and adolescents.