Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine Referral Guidelines
Children's Division of Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine provides care for all musculoskeletal conditions in newborns, children, and teens. The orthopaedic team at Children's includes pediatric orthopaedic surgeons, pediatric sports medicine specialists, physician assistants, nurse practitioners and certified athletic trainers. Our doctors have subspecialty areas of focus involving all aspects of pediatric orthopaedics.
Services include diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of:
- Acute injuries including fractures, ligament injuries, and dislocations
- Scoliosis and other spine problems, including casting, bracing and surgery
- Clubfoot, hip dislocation and other orthopaedic congenital defects
- Urgent orthopaedic conditions including musculoskeletal infections and tumors
- Congenital deformities of the hand, arm and shoulder
- Brachial plexus injuries
- Sports-related injuries in children and adolescents
- Children and teens with physical disabilities, cared for in a team approach with other medical specialists
- Casting and bracing
There are appointments available for urgent visits. Contact 202-476-4063 if urgent slots are full.
Painful limping or refusal to bear weight
Acute fracture at any anatomic site
"Compartment Syndrome" or Severe Traumatic Leg or Arm Pain
Knee Sprain or Ligament Injury
Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip (DDH)
Scoliosis or other spinal deformity
Spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis (stress fracture of lower back)
Intoeing: metatarsus adductus (MTA), tibial torsion and femoral anteversion
Bowlegs (Possible Blount's Disease)
Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis (SCFE)
IGNITE for Kids: Clinical Trials
The IGNITE program focuses on addressing current clinical challenges in pediatric surgery and oncology, with an emphasis on replacement of surgery with non-invasive techniques to minimize stress and trauma caused by surgical procedures. Learn more about the IGNITE program.
Outpatient Appointment Referral Pads (PDFs)
Download the version you'd like below, or request to have one be mailed to you .