Children’s National Hospital Interventional Radiology performs a full range of minimally invasive, image-guided procedures to both diagnose and treat disease in infants, children and adolescents. Specially trained pediatric interventional radiologists perform minimally invasive interventions using imaging tools to guide the procedures.
The best available quality of care is made possible by this dedicated team of interventional radiologists, advanced practice providers, radiologic technicians, registered nurses, surgical coordinators and anesthesiologists. We also are at the forefront of research in minimally invasive diagnostics and therapy through the Sheikh Zayed Institute for Pediatric Surgical Innovation, where we are working on enhancing local drug delivery techniques in cancer and thrombosis as well as evaluating the role of magnetic resonance (MR)- guided high intensity focused ultrasound to treat pediatric soft tissue and bone tumors.
Interventional radiology describes a field of specialized surgery where doctors use state-of-the-art technology, such as ultrasound, X-Ray, CT, and MRI to visualize the inside of the human body. When they have a clear image of the target inside the body, experts can guide instruments, such as catheters, to the target area for diagnosis or treatment.
Interventional radiology in children has reduced the need for open surgery in many conditions, providing minimally invasive alternatives. Our facilities were created to provide specialized care for children. We have a specialized interventional radiology suite and an operating room with state-of-the-art imaging equipment.
Preparing for your Procedure
We welcome you and your child to Interventional Radiology. Please read the specific information on your child’s procedure and bring questions with you on the day of the procedure. If your child is not feeling well or is not in their usual state of health, please call us. It is very important that we know before the procedure. If there are any concerns prior to your procedure, we can be reached at 202-476-3791.
- Fine needle aspiration
- Image guided biopsies
- Abscess drainage
- Chest tubes, fibrinolytic therapy and thoracentesis
- Percutaneous cecostomy tube placement and maintenance (includes Malones)
- Percutaneous gastro-jejunostomy (G-J) tube placement and maintenance
- Percutaneous gastrostomy (G) tube placement
- Arthrogram (Video)
- Bile duct evaluation, biliary drains and gall bladder drains
- Dialysis fistula or graft intervention *
- Esophageal dilation and embolization (Varicocele embolization) *
- Joint injections
- Lumbar puncture
- Lymphangiography and lymphatic system interventions *
- Magnetic resonance (MR)-guided high intensity focused ultrasound
- Nephrostomy tube, ureteral stents and cystostomy tube placement
- Neurointerventional radiology
- Radio frequency ablation
- Sclerotherapy embolization (for vascular malformations)
- TMJ injections (Video)
Visual Supports and Resources
Education & Training
Education & Training