The Brainy Camps Association is a consortium of residential summer camps for kids living with:
- Celiac and gluten free diets
- Cerebral palsy and hemiplegia
- Down syndrome and rare genetic conditions
- Heart conditions
- Sickle cell anemia
- Tourette syndrome
- Type 1 Diabetes
- Youth transitioning to adulthood
Additional camps will be developed based on requests and needs. Ideas for new camps are always welcome.
Camps are held at the campus of Blue Ridge School in St. George, Virginia and offers tween and teen patients a genuine summer camp experience complete with activities such as sports, crafts, canoeing and a sky full of stars.
Each session serves campers living with a specific health condition, giving them the opportunity to:
- Learn about their condition
- Become effective partners in managing their own care
- Connect in peer support groups
- Forge lasting friendships with kids facing similar challenges
- Gain confidence and build self-esteem
Family camps are also available, giving parents and siblings the opportunity to join the fun while learning how to live well as a family.
- Genetic counselors
- Medical doctors
- Occupational therapists
- Physical therapists
- Social workers
- Specialized nurses, nurse practitioners and physician assistants
In addition, qualified counselors are carefully chosen based on genuine interest and experience with working with children and their chronic health condition. In fact, many were once campers themselves.
To get more information, register or get involved, visit BrainyCamps.com or call 202-476-5142.