The Torticollis Program at Children’s National provides optimal care for your child with torticollis, as well as comprehensive education to help you manage your child's condition at home.
Torticollis is recognized as a twisting in the neck and tilting of the head. There are several types of torticollis. Muscular torticollis is the most common type of fixed torticollis. Torticollis usually occurs as a result of improper neck position in utero.
What is Pediatric Congenital Muscular Torticollis?
Congenital muscular torticollis is a condition in which an infant's neck muscle is shortened causing the neck to twist. Congenital means present at birth and torticollis means twisted neck. The condition is sometimes called wryneck.
What causes congenital muscular torticollis in babies?
What are the symptoms of congenital muscular torticollis in babies?
How is congenital muscular torticollis in babies diagnosed?
What is the treatment of congenital muscular torticollis in babies?
Choosing Children’s National for Torticollis Care
- An emphasis on early intervention. We specialize in early recognition and early treatment of torticollis to minimize complications and maximize function.
- Home exercise program. We focus on teaching parents therapeutic techniques that can be used at home to maximize their child's treatment effects.
- Quality care. We closely observe and monitor your child for developmental progress, and offer specific interventions as needed.
Treatment Options for Torticollis
Our team offers many treatment options for your child with torticollis injury to optimize outcomes, which include:
- Home exercise plan that educates parents on how to engage their child in therapeutic activities at home
- Positioning recommendations
- Injections of medications to help overactive muscles relax
- Referral to surgery services for plagiocephaly and torticollis requiring more aggressive treatment measures
Help Your Child Grow Up Stronger
Read about everything parents need to know about kids' health, straight from our experts at Children's National Hospital.