A dedicated team of nearly 100 professionals provides respiratory care services around the clock for outpatients and inpatients at Children's National Hospital. Our team excels in the field due to their technical knowledge, as well as their expertise in working with kids. You can be assured that the division has the nation's highest quality providers in the profession. Children's respiratory care practitioners (RCPs) are licensed graduates from American Medical Association-approved professional colleges. As we want our RCPs to have the highest level of professional training possible, we require them to progress through Children's own four-stage in-house training.
State-of-the-Art ServicesServices performed by our RCPs include:
- Managing life support for mechanically-ventilated children
- Performing therapeutic and diagnostic procedures for children with heart and lung diseases
- Participating in ground and flight transport for children in critical condition
- Administering specialty gases
- Providing extracorporeal life support for children of all ages with life-threatening conditions
We aim to provide world-class respiratory care in the safest possible environment. The Division of Respiratory Care Services meets and exceeds National Patient Safety Goals recommended by The Joint Commission, which accredits and certifies healthcare providers and programs in the United States.
The division also participates in nationwide educational, benchmarking and data-sharing professional events, to share best practices and continually improve the care provided to our patients.