Our Mission Vision and Values
Committed to Children in Our Community and Around the World
We honor a mission that goes back more than a century, and embody a vision and core values that go forward just as far: to bring health and well-being to all children.
Children's National Hospital Mission Statement
As the nation’s children’s hospital, the mission of Children’s National is to excel in Care, Advocacy, Research and Education. We accomplish this through:
- Providing a quality healthcare experience for our patients and families
- Improving health outcomes for children regionally, nationally and internationally
- Leading the creation of innovative solutions to pediatric health challenges
Children's National Hospital Vision Statement
Children's National will lead the future of pediatric health through its clinical excellence, transformative research, innovation and service to the community.
Children's National Hospital Child-Centered Vision
By incorporating feedback from our families, we have developed our first child‐centered vision, which looks at the hospital experience through a child’s eyes:
- Healing a child’s body, mind and spirit takes more than medicine: It takes a team to fulfill a family’s dream
- My hospital is a bright and happy place that feels like home
- My providers, my family and I are a team, and everyone's job is important
- The way my hospital works is built around me
- My providers don't all look alike
- My hospital is my family's connection to everything I need for my health, whether they provide it or blaze trail it
Our Core Values
Compassion: Creating an Exceptional Patient Experience
- The children and families we serve are at the center of all that we do.
- We consider the experience of each person before, during and after their visit to our facilities.
- We seek to understand the unique needs of each patient.
- We exhibit empathy, kindness and loyalty in the pursuit of exceeding care expectations.
- All staff, not just clinical staff, play an active role in supporting those we serve. For some roles, the concept of creating an exceptional patient experience may also be interpreted as the value the role plays in advancing or advocating for the health of children.
- We constantly evaluate our processes to improve health equity and reduce bias.
Commitment: Serving with Integrity
- We believe in doing the right things right consistently, even when no one is watching.
- We take pride in a safe and transparent experience for all.
- We strive for equity and internal consistency in our work and actions.
- As a leader in pediatric healthcare, we accomplish work above and beyond what is expected.
- We hold ourselves and each other accountable for our actions.
Connection: Developing Inclusive Relationships
- We take care of each other by fostering diverse and equitable relationships with patients, families, other team members and the community.
- We recognize and value each other’s strengths, abilities and skills as they contribute to the success of our team.
- We seek to build trusting, respectful, and mutually beneficial partnerships that lead to better health for all.