Key Points About Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis in Children
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis is a life-threatening skin disorder that causes skin blistering and peeling.
- It is most often triggered in the first eight weeks of using a new medicine.
- A high fever and flu-like symptoms often occur first. This is followed by skin changes such as painful redness, peeling, blistering and raw areas of skin.
- If your child has a fever and skin changes after starting a new medicine, get medical care right away.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is toxic epidermal necrolysis in children?
What causes toxic epidermal necrolysis in a child?
Which children are at risk for toxic epidermal necrolysis?
What are the symptoms of toxic epidermal necrolysis in a child?
How is toxic epidermal necrolysis diagnosed in a child?
How is toxic epidermal necrolysis treated in a child?
What are possible complications of toxic epidermal necrolysis in a child?
What can I do to prevent toxic epidermal necrolysis in my child?
When should I call my child's healthcare provider?
Dermatology Treatment at Children's National Hospital
The pediatric specialists at Children's National Hospital have the expertise to diagnose, treat and manage conditions of the skin, nails and hair common in infant and younger patients. Discover more about the treatments we offer.
Help Kids and Make a Difference
Invest in future cures for some of life's most devastating diseases. Give today to help more children grow up stronger.
Providers Who Treat Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis
Departments that Treat Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis
The Division of Dermatology at Children's National Hospital continues to expand services as more families seek our expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the skin, hair and nails.