Key points about sinusitis in children
- Sinusitis is an infection of the sinuses.
- When discharge from the nose is blocked, bacteria may start to grow. This leads to a sinus infection or sinusitis.
- Acute sinusitis may get better on its own. But if it doesn’t, medicine can be prescribed.
- For chronic sinusitis, the healthcare provider may refer your child to an ear, nose and throat doctor (ENT) for testing and treatment.
- To help prevent sinusitis, have your child use saline sprays or washes to keep the nose moist. Use a humidifier in dry inside areas.