What is Cardiac Catheterization?
Cardiac catheterization is a medical procedure we use to diagnose and even treat some heart conditions. Using a catheter (a long, thin, flexible tube), we access your child’s heart and blood vessels. We use this minimally invasive technique in multiple ways:
- As a diagnostic tool: Cardiac catheterization gives us clear, detailed pictures of your child’s heart function and blood flow. We can diagnose congenital heart defects, locate narrowed or blocked vessels, and take a sample of heart tissue for analysis (biopsy).
- To treat certain heart defects: Many congenital heart defects involve holes in the heart. Using cardiac catheterization, we can close these holes quickly and successfully without the need for surgery.
Cardiac Catheterization at Children’s National: Why Choose Us
Features of our cardiac catheterization program include:
- High volume: We perform over 600 procedures every year, including electrophysiology procedures, interventional procedures, and diagnostic procedures. This high volume translates to an unparalleled depth of experience and skill for our team.
- Full spectrum of cardiac catheterization treatment options: We have access to the latest cardiac catheterization devices and procedures, including the Medtronic© Melody™ transcatheter pulmonary valve, the world’s first transcatheter valve. This technology allows us to treat children who have valvular disease without needing an invasive surgery.
- Treatment for the most complex conditions: We treat patients with complex heart, blood vessel, and valve conditions, including severe pulmonary artery stenosis. Our cardiac catheterization outcomes are at or close to 100 percent survival.
- Safe, accurate treatments: Our new Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Imaging suite allows us to perform MRI and catheterization procedures on the same day, reducing the need for multiple procedures and sedation. Learn more about cardiac imaging.
Who Needs Cardiac Catheterization?
Cardiac Catheterization for Children: Pain Management
Working Toward Better Outcomes: IMPACT Registry™
Conditions We Treat
Experts in Cardiac Catheterization
Learn about some of the lifesaving cardiac catheterization procedures our pediatric heart experts perform each year at Children's National.