How to Get Medical Services and Therapy at the HSC Pediatric Center
Our team is ready to provide whatever care your child needs, be it at outpatient appointments or during an inpatient stay at our facilities. Learn the process to obtain services below.
Inpatient Admission Process
We are happy you are considering our hospital for your child’s healthcare needs. We encourage you to schedule a tour of our hospital so that you learn more about us and see if we are the right fit for your child. If you have questions, call our admissions office at 202-635-6115.
When You Arrive
We will have checked in with your insurance company before you arrive. That way, if we need any documents, we will let you know so your admission is as smooth as possible and we can focus on your child.
On the day of admission, you and your child will be greeted by our staff and shown to your child's room. During the day:
- Medical staff will complete an evaluation of your child.
- A staff member will tell you all about the facility, our staff and services your child may need.
- We provide a routine schedule to give your child a sense of security.
- We'll tell you about visiting hours.
Families meet the individual care providers at the bedside on admission or shortly afterwards. You can then expect to have family meetings scheduled by our social workers to discuss plans for leaving the hospital, progress on current goals, and to participate in ongoing goal setting. Parents and caregivers are also invited to attend weekly provider meetings (called rounds) with their child.
Outpatient Appointment Process
To receive therapy services through The HSC Pediatric Center, we will need a referral, sometimes called a physician's order, from your child's doctor.
Check With Your Insurance Plan
If you have private health insurance, be sure to check with your plan to make sure they cover therapy services and that HSC is a participating provider. Or, you can call us and we will check for you.
Obtain a Referral
There are several ways to do this:
- You child's healthcare team--hospital, health clinic, or doctor’s office--may send the referral and other information to us directly.
- Your child's healthcare team may ask that you to contact us directly. If they have given you the referral, we'll ask you to send that to us. If you don’t have the referral, we'll have you ask your doctor's office to send the referral to us.
If not already included in your referral, we will also ask you for basic information about your child:
- Your child's name
- Date of birth
- Phone number(s)
- Name of insurance(s)
- Insurance ID #
- Name of the person on the insurance, usually Mom or Dad, if you have private insurance.
- Type of therapy your child needs
Fax the Referral
Your healthcare team should fax the referral and other information to us at 202-635-6108.
Once we have everything we need, we will verify your insurance and call you back to get more information about your child and to make an appointment for you.