Skip to main content

An Infectious Disease traditional track fellow with her poster presentation at Children's National.Approximately 30 percent of the traditional track fellowship is devoted to clinical training and education at Children’s National. The remaining 70 percent of the traditional track fellowship is devoted to research. Clinical training is identical for all our fellowship tracks, with the tracks differing in their research training focus.

Fellows in the traditional track will usually complete a scholarly activity in clinical/translational, quality improvement or bench research. Fellows may complete this activity in any number of broad areas of focus in general or HIV-related infectious diseases, immunology, microbiology, global health, epidemiology/infection control or related fields.

Fellows will work with infectious diseases attendings to identify research projects and mentors within and/or external to the Infectious Diseases Division, such as, but not limited to: Children’s National Research Institute, the National Institutes of Health, George Washington University, local health departments and Walter Reed Medical Center.

An Infectious Disease traditional track fellow with his poster presentation at Children's National.

Rich opportunities, state-of-the-art research facilities and infrastructure support are present on-site at the Children’s National Research Institute for the pursuit of a wide range of clinical, basic science, epidemiologic and outcomes research. Our Clinical and Translational Science Institute is integrated within Children's National Hospital. This helps to facilitate close relationships between investigators and clinicians, and research by physician scientists.