Car Seat Inspections
Safe Kids DC and its community partners operate several car seat inspection and installation stations throughout the city to teach families how to safely transport children. All inspection stations are operated by nationally certified child passenger safety technicians (CPSTs) and instructors (CPST-Is). This service is available to patient families and the community at large.
During a car seat inspection or installation, technicians will:
- Take height and weight measurements (if child is present)
- Provide hands-on instruction to the parent/caregiver regarding proper installation
- Check for recalls
- Check the expiration date
- Check for broken or missing car seat parts
- Provide education to avoid heatstroke-related injuries
For more safety tips and information on selecting the right car seat for your child, check out the Safe Kids Ultimate Car Seat Guide.
We offer car seat inspections, no appointment required, at locations across the city. We also conduct car seat inspection events and safety education sessions. If you are interested, please fill out our event request form.
Car seat inspection services are limited due to COVID-19. All inspection stations are closed on federal holidays.
DC DMV Inspection Station
1001 Half St, SW. Hours are effective September 2022. Pull into Lane 8 to be serviced.
- Sunday and Mondays-CLOSED
- Tuesday - 7 a.m. - 3.p.m.
- Wednesday - 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Thursday - 7 a.m. - 3.p.m.
- Friday - 7 a.m. - 3.p.m.
- Saturday - 7 a.m. - 3.p.m.
For more information please visit the DC DMV Inspection Station website.
District Department of Transportation (DDOT)
Child Passenger Safety Educational Consultation services will be available Monday-Friday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Educational consultations allow you to receive information and links to resources specific to your seat over the phone or email. Please note educational consultation is not a substitute for a car seat inspection but can provide valuable information on safe child transport.
Virtual Inspections are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays by appointment only through the Video Car Seat Assistance Program. Please schedule an appointment.
Please contact Karen Gay or call 202-409-0234 for more information.
Metropolitan Police Department
501 New York Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20001
Walk-in car seat installation services are available on Tuesday from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Please park and walk into the garage to be serviced.
Virtual Car Seat Inspections
Virtual car seat inspections allow you to schedule a video inspection with a Child Passenger Safety Technician. During this time a virtual inspection is a safe alternative until in-person inspection stations are re-opened.
The following organizations are offering virtual car seat inspection services:
- Britax USA: To schedule an appointment, complete this survey.
- Maryland Kids in Seats: To schedule an appointment, please download and complete the Participant Form Video Car Seat Assistance Program Participant Information Form and email it to [email protected]. Staff will contact you to set up an appointment. For general questions, contact the helpline at 800-370-SEAT (7328).
Please email a Safe Kids DC team member at [email protected] for more information.
Keeping Your Child Safe While Driving: Behavioral Health Needs
Sometimes kids with special needs have a hard time with their car seat while you are driving, especially if they have autism or ADHD. Here are some tips for keeping your child happy in their car seat.