Key points about atopic dermatitis in children
- Atopic dermatitis is a long-term (chronic) skin condition. It's common in babies and children.
- A child with allergies or family members with atopic dermatitis has a higher chance of having atopic dermatitis.
- Itching, dryness and redness are common symptoms.
- The goals of treatment are to ease itching and inflammation of the skin, increase moisture and prevent infection.
- Staying away from triggers is important to manage the condition.
- It usually gets better or goes away as a child gets older.
Frequently Asked Questions
Prevention and Risk Assessment
What is atopic dermatitis in children?
What causes atopic dermatitis in a child?
Which children are at risk for atopic dermatitis?
What are the symptoms of atopic dermatitis in a child?
How can I help prevent atopic dermatitis in my child?
When should I call my child’s health care provider?
How is atopic dermatitis diagnosed in a child?
How is atopic dermatitis treated in a child?
What are possible complications of atopic dermatitis in a child?
How can I help my child live with atopic dermatitis?
Allergy Treatment at Children's National Hospital
Children affected by allergies and complex immunologic disorders benefit from the expertise of our pediatric specialists. Discover more about the treatments we offer.
Help Kids and Make a Difference
Invest in future cures for some of life's most devastating diseases. Give today to help more children grow up stronger.
Providers Who Treat Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis)
Departments that Treat Eczema (Atopic Dermatitis)
IMPACT DC Improving Pediatric Asthma Care in the District of Columbia
IMPACT DC Asthma Clinic is an award-winning pediatric asthma program in Washington, D.C., dedicated to improving asthma care and outcomes for children through clinical care, education, research and advocacy.
The Division of Dermatology at Children's National Hospital continues to expand services as more families seek our expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the skin, hair and nails.
Allergy and Immunology
At Children's National, children affected by allergies and complex immunologic disorders benefit from our specialists' expertise, because our doctors treat children and only children with these conditions.