Innovative Pediatric Medical Research Presented by Children's National Hospital Experts at 2016 PAS Annual Meeting
Key topics include challenges in neonatal and fetal medicine, mobile health strategies, plasma biomarkers of brain injury, care disparities, and "˜Zika on Our Doorstep'
“Research scientists affiliated with Children’s National Health System are involved in at least 145 events during this year’s PAS annual meeting. We’ve never had a higher number of active participants,” said Mark L. Batshaw, MD, Children’s National Executive Vice President, Physician-In-Chief, and Chief Academic Officer. “This strong showing is a testament to the world-class research that occurs at our institution and that improves the quality of patient care.”
Children’s National experts from a variety of pediatric disciplines will discuss their research and relevant topics over the course of the three-day meeting, the largest international meeting focused on research in child health.
Daily highlights follow:Sunday, May 1, 2016
- Is There an App for That? Using Mobile Health Strategies in Youth with T1D (Type 1 Diabetes): Randi Streisand, PhD
- SPECIAL SYMPOSIUM – Zika on Our Doorstep: Key Information for Pediatricians: Roberta L. DeBiasi, MD, MS; David Kaufman, MD; Pablo Sanchez, MD; Sonja Rasmussen, MD, MS; and Marco A. Palazzi Sáfadi, MD, PhD
- Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Antibiotic Prescribing for Emergency Department Visits with Viral Diagnoses: Monika K. Goyal, MD, MSCE; Tiffani Johnson; Elizabeth R. Alpern; T.C. Casper; Tomohiko Funai; Evaline Alessandrini; Lalit Bajaj; Robert W. Grundmeier; Jeffrey S. Gerber; Scott A. Lorch; and James M. Chamberlain, MD.
- Impaired Global and Tissue-Specific Brain Development in the Growth-Restricted Fetus: Nickie Andescavage, MD; Josepheen Cruz; Marina Metzler; Adre du Plessis, MBChB; and Catherine Limperopoulos, PhD
- Vagal Hypersensitivity in Premature Infants and Risk of Hospital Readmission Due to Acute Life-Threatening Events: Gustavo Nino, MD; Rathinaswamy Govindan; Tareq Al-Shargabi; Marina Metzler; Radhika Joshi; Geovanny Perez, MD; An N. Massaro, MD; Robert McCarter, Jr., ScD; and Adre du Plessis, MBChB.
- Plasma Biomarkers of Brain Injury in Neonatal HIE (Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy): An N. Massaro, MD; Yvonne W. Wu; Theo K. Bammler; Amit Mathur; Robert C. McKinstry; Taeun Chang, MD; Dennis E. Mayock; Sarah Mulkey; Krisa Van Meurs; Lawrence Dong; Roberta Ballard; and Sandra Juul.
# # #
About the Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting
The Pediatric Academic Societies annual meeting brings together thousands of individuals united by a common mission: To improve child health and wellbeing worldwide. This international gathering includes pediatric researchers, leaders in academic pediatrics, experts in child health, and practitioners.