Shepherd Park: Our Services
At Children's Health Centers, we offer a variety of pediatric and specialty care services for your child, including:
- Well child check-ups, immunizations and flu shots
- Sick visits/same day appointments available
- Care for minor injuries and illnesses
- New patient and newborn evaluations
- Comprehensive adolescent healthcare
- Care for children with disabilities
- Evaluation and counseling for behavioral, emotional and learning problems
- Specialty care for asthma, mental health and obesity
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Developmental testing and screening
- School, sports and camp physicals
- School and daycare health forms
- Breastfeeding support and infant nutrition
- Hearing and vision screening
- Help with Medicaid applications
- Prescription refills
- On-site psychology services (available at some locations)
- WIC-special supplemental food program for women, infants and children (available at some locations)
- Assistance connecting with needed community services
- Referrals to Children’s National specialists
Whole Bear Care
As your child continues to grow, their medical needs will continue to change. Just because your child has become a teenager does not mean he or she needs medical care any less frequently than when he or she was younger. Our doctors and nurse practitioners specialize in adolescent health and the focus is on the total health of our adolescent and young adult patients.
We have several programs and services available to teens, including:
- Dating, friendships
- HIV, STIs and pregnancy
- Peer pressure
- Puberty, reproductive health
- Teen health
- Violence, bullying and conflict negotiation
Specialty care for:
- Eating disorders
- Menstrual issues
- Sexual health
- Mental healthcare for conditions including depression, ADHD and anxiety
In addition, our Healthy Generations Program provides comprehensive, family-centered healthcare for teen parents and their children.
Referrals for Specialty CareAs your child grows and develops, their healthcare needs change. Our Children’s Health Centers offer primary care “plus,” providing children in the District of Columbia with a single medical home that provides assessment, basic treatment and care resources for primary care needs, as well as for specialty care, including for mental health, asthma, dental health, teen pregnancy, obesity and more.
Our pediatricians are connected to Children’s National Hospital, which is ranked #5 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
If your child needs additional specialty care, our practices will work with your family to connect you to the best providers. Depending on your insurance plan, your child may need a referral from your pediatrician. Referrals for specialists can be sent electronically or via a hard copy referral. After you have seen the specialist, your primary care provider is available to review the recommendations made and to help coordinate ongoing care for your child.