We've gone paperless:Read more about how this will impact you and your practice.
Refer a Patient
Learn more about Direct
Engage with Our Team through Direct Messaging
When your patient needs to see a specialist, you can connect with us via Direct Messaging, or secure email, to learn the best specialty options for your patient.
Important Referral Information
If you need assistance scheduling a specialty visit or clinical guidance managing the care of one of your patients, please contact us at one of the numbers below. Our referral guidelines will help you determine if care from one of our specialists is needed. View our online physician directory.
- Physician Access Line: 202-476-4880. Children’s National specialists are available for consultations Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Hospital Operators: 202-476-5000. Monday – Friday from 5 p.m. – 8 a.m. Available all day Saturday and Sunday.
- Emergency Department Transfer Center: 202-476-LIFE (5433). Available 24/7.
- Direct Admit: 202-476-LIFE (5433). Available 24/7. Direct admissions require pre-authorization by payors. Email our Bear Direct Case Managers for assistance.
- Physician Referral Line: 202-476-4418. Physician liaisons monitor voicemails Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Healthcare providers can share patient exams with us on the lifeIMAGE Network.
Online Referral Form
This system allows you to seamlessly send referral information to our Contact Center. This allows your care team to provide pertinent information about a patient to our specialists so we can better co-manage your patients and meet their specialty care needs.
View our resources
Consult and Referral Resources
Learn about our Physician Access Line for consulting with our experts, view our physician directory or access the Children's National Physician Portal. You can also request a referral pad and view fact sheets about our specialty care locations.
Refer an International Patient
Our Global Services team is ready to help you refer your international patients to Children's National Hospital. Be sure to visit our international patient website to learn all we have to offer this diverse patient population.
Download Maryland Referral Pads
Eastern Maryland (Prince George’s County, Howard County, Annapolis and Salisbury) English | Spanish
Western Maryland (Washington, D.C., Montgomery County & Frederick County) English | Spanish
Download Northern Virginia Referral Pads
Spring 2023 Outpatient Appointment Referral Pads for Northern Virginia are available in English and in Spanish.
Receive Alerts from Our Physician Relations Team
Stay informed when you sign up for alerts from our Physician Relations team. We will update you on upcoming Grand Rounds, updated screening protocols and share news and safety plans with you.