International Visitor Program Application
Thank you for your interest in participating in the Special Category Associate Program at Children's National Hospital, an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To begin the Special Category international observer application process, you must have confirmed with a Children's National staff member that they will serve as your supervisor.
Please note the application process can take up to four to six weeks to process and clear.
Please follow the steps below to start onboarding:
- Read the attached orientation packet and sign the confidentiality agreement.
- Complete the in-take form. Once completed, please forward to your listed supervisor for processing of a verification for your observation.
- Provide a professional letter of recommendation for the observership. The letter can be provided by the observers school, job or embassy.
- Complete the online safety quiz and error prevention training (answers can be found in the orientation packet).
- Observer agreement must be signed by both the associate and supervisor, before being returned to Special Category for processing.
- Legal approval for an observership will be obtained by the listed supervisor and Special Category team. Once the assignment has been verified and approved by legal, Special Category will initiate a background check through the Sterling background company.
- An active visa or ESTA visa waiver is required for the program. The visa (or ESTA waiver) must remain active throughout the duration of the observership and must be on file with Special Category.
- If the observer requires sponsorship of a J1 visa, they should connect with the supervisor of the observership to start a separate application process.
- Travelers Medical Insurance must be obtained and provided to Special Category.
- A headshot photo must be provided.
Guideline for photos:
- A current photo (recommended within three years).
- Forward facing with a white or blue background.
- Properly cropped from just above the top of the head to the collarbone.
- No hats (exceptions for head coverings due to religious reasons are made.) sunglasses, busy scenery, or other people within the frame.
- The photo should be high resolution and color.
- Please be dressed in professional attire.
- Please provide an original photo. A photo taken of a headshot picture, will be rejected, which can delay clearance.
Occupational Health (Medical Clearance)
After the assignment has been verified by the supervisor, Special Category will forward the international observer an occupational health packet. The observer will need to provide the following documentation:
- Covid-19 vaccination
- Influenza vaccination
- TB screening before arrival ONE of the following (TB screening should be done in home country, results in English):
- Blood test (T spot, QuantiFERON-TB Gold)
- Chest X-ray (including interpretation) within 365 days of first day of rotation for those who have received the BCG vaccine and had a positive reaction to PPD in the past.
- Proof of immunity or immunization records for:
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR vaccine)
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap vaccine) after 2005 and booster.
- Associates who perform tasks that may involve exposure to blood or body fluids must also submit proof of immunity to Hepatitis B.
- Health Screening from a provider (this can be done in home country, results in English)
- Completed Initial Visit Form
Once the international observer has completed onboarding, special category will provide a formal clearance letter. The letter will contain assignment information, badge form and parking information.