Information for Medical Students
Medical Student Education
Welcome to the Office of Medical Student Education information site at Children’s National Medical Center, the home of Pediatric Medical Student Education for George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences.
This website was created to provide pertinent information about the pediatric programs for students. We are dedicated to carrying out Children's National’s mission, which includes a commitment to excellence in teaching and GWU Medical Center’s vision to teach with creativity and dedication. We thank you for your interest in the GWU’s Medical Student Programs and look forward to hearing from you soon. Please make a selection below and contact us with any questions.
Third Year Clerkship Students
Children’s National Medical Center is the Pediatric Department for the George Washington University Medical School. We receive numerous requests for participation in our Clerkship program. Unfortunately, we are only able to accept 3rd year students into our Clerkship from GWU Medical School and Howard University College of Medicine. Feel free to contact us if you have further questions.
Back to Top
A Clerkship Lecture - Presenting During Family Centered Rounds
Here at Children’s National Medical Center, we conduct "Patient and Family Centered Rounds" (FCR). They are conducted in keeping with the goals of the Institute of Medicine and the American Academy of Pediatrics to make our healthcare patient and family centered. Although we focus a lot at Children’s National on efficient/effective care practices and technology, we must not forget the reason we are here - to provide comfort and healing to our patients and their families. FCR is a great opportunity to connect with patients and families and to learn communication and clinical reasoning skills and to interpret PE findings.
You have a critical role in making FCR successful. Watch the FCR PowerPoint, with embedded videos, to learn how to most effectively contribute to and learn during rounds.
How to Navigate the Presentation:
- Click on the link below then Click Open.
- Use the Page Up and Page Down keys, on your keyboard to navigate through the presentation.
- When you click on a Video, it will take a few seconds to start and it will run in the Quick Time Player or in your browser window.
- To return to the presentation when you are finished watching a video, click on the Back (navigation) Arrow at the top of the window, then Click Open. to resume where you left off.
- Close the browser window to exit the presentation.
- If you have problems, contact the Children's Medical Student Education Coordinator.
Download the Presentation
Back to Top
Fourth Year Visiting Medical and Osteopathic Students
Children’s National Medical Center is the Pediatric Department for the George Washington University Medical School (GWUMS) in Washington, D.C. We offer 28 electives in a wide variety of disciplines including 5 Acting Internships (Sub-Internships). Students may only use VSAS if they are enrolled at a US LCME accredited medical school or a participating COCA accredited AACOM member college. All US LCME accredited AAMC member schools, with rising 4th year classes are VSAS home schools. Students enrolled at these schools may use VSAS to submit applications. https://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/vsas/
Our VSAS application is available on April 1st – Click the link to view our 2012-13 catalog and calendar. Pediatric Course Catalog / Calendar
Students enrolled at these schools may use VSAS to submit applications.
If your program is not participating
- A $75.00 application fee is required made payable to Children's National. This allows the you to take up to 2 electives and is due after you have accepted our acceptance offer.
- The academic year begins the first week July.
- All applications are reviewed to determine your eligibility, requested rotation time frame(s) and the desired elective(s).
- We are unable to officially accept and enroll students until the GWU registration is completed which occurs in May. Your application will be kept in queue until then.
- If you are requesting more than one elective placement, please note that in your application when you identify your elective and date(s).
- Be sure to have a current BLS or ACLS card.
- Background Checks are recommended but not required at this time.
- You will be notified if we are unable to accommodate your request. We would love to discuss possible options so that you can participate in out program.
- We will process all applications for July and August first and then work our way through the remaining requests.
- We are able to accommodate “off schedule” requests if there are no enrollment allowance conflicts. Be sure and note the week/date you want to start.
Complete acceptance criterion is discussed on the GWUMS website, where you will also find the electives course decriptions and the academic year calendar. http://smhs.gwumc.edu/mdprograms/visitingstudents
We hope that you choose to do your elective at Children's National and we look forward to hearing from you soon. Contact us with any questions.
Back to Top
Fourth Year International Medical Student Electives Program
International students may inquire about electives through our Office of International Medicine Programs. We have exchange contracts and/or affiliation agreements with a limited number of international Medical Schools. We are able to accept students from those schools only. You may review requirements and availability at http://www.gwumc.edu/imp/education/intlclinic.cfm. Contact their office for additional information regarding international clinical electives. 202 994-4844
Back to Top