Child Neurology Fellowship
The Neurology Department at Children’s National Medical Center (CNMC) is one of the largest and most comprehensive in the world and is dedicated to the training and education of child neurologists that will become leaders within the field. It is staffed by over thirty clinical neurologists, neurointensivists, and epileptologists, many of them world renowned. The staff leads national and international research projects, and brings that expertise to the comprehensive care of patients and their families.
Each year, more than 23,000 pediatric patients benefit from the Neurology Department’s multidisciplinary care, from around the Washington DC area and around the globe. CNMC is a 303-bed free-standing Children’s Hospital with a dedicated 25-bed neurology floor including 14 video EEG beds, along with a 54-bed NICU and 35-bed PICU.
Inpatient care addresses a variety of conditions that require hospitalization, including epilepsy, brain tumors, metabolic and genetic disorders, infectious and inflammatory conditions of the central and peripheral nervous system, along with other neurologic conditions. Our inpatient services are divided into two teams: a General Child Neurology team and a Neuro-intensive Care team, each with unique attending physicians that are devoted to complex care and research pursuits within their area of interest.
In addition to its team of more than 30 neurologists, the division collaborates with colleagues in related divisions throughout Children’s National Medical Center for a fully-integrated approach to care. For example, the multidisciplinary Epilepsy Surgery Program evaluates innovative drugs and offers the finest in neuro-monitoring and neurosurgical treatment of epilepsy. The team includes designated epileptologists, neurosurgeons, neuropsychologists, and a variety of other members to coordinate complex care.
The Neuroscience Center for Excellence has numerous programs with dedicated medical staff providing care to a variety of disorders in children, including:
• Brain Tumor Institute (Neuro-Oncology Program)
• Center for Prenatal Evaluation
• Clinical Electroneurodiagnostic Program
• Electrodiagnostic Medical Consultation Program
• Epilepsy - Comprehensive Pediatric Epilepsy Program (CPEP)
• Epilepsy Surgical Program
• Epilepsy Transition Clinic/Adult Continuity Program
• Evoked Response Program
• Headache Program
• Ketogenic Diet Program
• Movement Disorders Program
• Neuro Intensive Care Unit
• Neurogenetics Program
• Neurofibromatosis Institute
• Neuromuscular Program
• Neuroradiology Program
• Newly Diagnosed Seizure Clinic
• Sleep Medicine Program
• Stroke Program (Neonatal and Childhood)
• Tuberous Sclerosis Program
• Vagal Nerve Stimulation (VNS) Program
• White Matter Disease Program
This is a highly competitive fellowship with three positions per year, plus an additional one position in the Neurodevelopmental Disabilities (NDD) program. There are multiple opportunities for fellows to develop research expertise both in the subspecialty programs in the Department of Neurology at CNMC and in programs at the National Institutes of Health and the National Cancer Institute which have working relationships with the Department of Neurology. Neurology fellows have elected to extend their fellowship for one to two years to take advantage of the programs available at the National Institute of Health.
Recent Graduates of the Child Neurology Program have pursued diverse clinical and research careers including:
• Neurophysiology Fellowship - University of Michigan; National Institute of Health
• Neurological Sciences Academic Developmental (NSADA) - National Institute Of Neurological Disorders And Stroke K12 Grant yielding three years of protected time for basic or clinical research in child neurology
• Public Health Policy - Viste Neurology Public Policy Fellowship, Capitol Hill
• Neuromuscular Fellowship - Children’s National Medical Center
• Neuro-oncology Fellowship - Children’s National Medical Center; Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
• Neuro-epidemiology - National Institute of Mental Health
• General Child Neurology - Children’s National Medical Center; Georgetown University Hospital; Kennedy Krieger
• Neurointensive Care - Children’s National Medical Center PICU and NICU including development of stroke and brain cooling protocols
• Research in Basic Science of Neurology – two recent K08 Awards within the department