|Tests and Services
Microbiology / Virology Testing
The Microbiology/Virology Laboratory uses state-of-the-art technology and rapid methods to diagnose infectious diseases by testing specimens for the presence of pathogenic microorganisms.
Laboratory activities include:
- Cultures of a wide variety of specimens for growth of bacteria, fungi and viruses.
- Antimicrobial susceptibility testing of clinically significant bacteria and fungi.
apid detection of bacterial, fungal and viral antigens in specimens.
- Microscopic examination of specimens for bacteria, fungi and parasites.
- Assays for toxins produced by pathogenic microorganisms.
- Testing of blood and cerebrospinal fluid for the presence of antibodies directed against bacteria, fungi, viruses, and parasites.
The laboratory performs cultures for:
- Influenza virus (flu)
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis
- Neisseria gonorrhoeae
- Many agents of bioterrorism
- Many other pathogenic microorganisms
Tests are performed for antigens produced by:
- Chlamydia trachomatis
- Group A Streptococcus (rapid strep)
- Hepatitis B virus
- Herpes simplex virus (cold sores)
- Influenza virus (flu)
- Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)
- Varicella zoster virus (chicken pox)
- A number of other pathogenic microorganisms
Microscopic examinations are performed for:
Assays for toxins
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis (acid-fast stain)
- Other bacteria (Gram stain)
- Certain fungi (KOH preparation)
- Pinworms (cellophane tape preparation)
- Many other intestinal parasites
Assays are performed for toxins produced by:
Testing for antibodies
- E coli O157:H7
- Clostridium difficile
- Clostridium botulinum
Testing is performed for antibodies detected against:
Testing is performed on a wide variety of specimens including:
- Epstein-Barr virus (infectious mononucleosis)
- Helicobacter pylori (stomach ulcer)
- Hepatitis virus A, B, C, and E
- HIV-1 and 2
- Mumps virus
- Rubella virus (German measles)
- Rubeola virus (measles)
- Treponema pallidum (syphilis)
- Toxoplasma gondii
- A wide variety of other pathogenic microorganisms
The Microbiology/Virology Laboratory provides information to physicians to help guide the selection of antimicrobial therapy for treatment of infectious diseases.
Microbiology / Virology Testing - Departments & Programs - Children's National Medical Center
- Cerebrospinal fluid
- Genital specimens
- Respiratory specimens
- Skin and soft tissue specimens
- Throat swabs